3/23/23

Card Maps or Card Sketches - What Are They?


In my previous post, I linked a video in which I made 15 cards using card maps made by my YouTube friend KendraI use card maps or sketches to make a lot of my cards. It keeps my decision fatigue low when I want to create but don't know where to start. Then someone asked me, what is a card map?

That's a great question because if you don't know your world is about to change dramatically!

Visit the shop by clicking the link above and use my affiliate code N2S10 at checkout for a discount!

A card map or card sketch is like a visual outline to follow to create a card. For example, take any one of the cards in the photo above and break it down into its essential components and shapes.

Here is one example with basic shapes, you fill it in with your designer paper and/or colored cardstock, as you like. Create it exactly as you see it or add your own flare/interpretation. The center circle can be any shape you want, for example.


Here is another example of a sketch or map with more detail. This one includes the dimensions of each piece of paper. I can figure this out on my own most days but some days you just need to be told what to do and I appreciate that! Leave a comment on this post if you know what I am talking about!



Here is another example that doesn't give you dimensions but shows you what it can look like. You add your own papers and colors and images but this is less technical than the others and more of a visual inspiration. 




I hope that helps explain what card maps or card sketches are. Leave a comment below if you have any questions.


No comments: